Moving course materials from Moodle to Canvas is fairly straightforward. The video below will help if you are interested in importing a course from Moodle to Canvas.
Team-based learning is a well established active learning pedagogical strategy. I am aware of one instructor who is using team based learning at Lawrence. In his course he has students take a quiz individually, then the same quiz as a team. The second team based quiz allows multiple attempts but penalizes the students for each subsequent attempt. The purpose of this is to encourage students to discuss what the correct answer should be before submitting. He invited me and my supervisor to sit in on a class. It was amazing to see how much discussion happened in the breakout rooms. This approach works great in Zoom, and can be equally effective in face-to-face environments as well.
Canvas is currently developing a new quiz engine, New Quizzes. It is currently available in our instance of Canvas, but not the default quiz creation tool. It looks like New Quizzes will replace Classic Quiz in December 2022.
Canvas doesn’t currently support this quizzing behavior. One main mechanism to communicate with Instructure and effect change is the Community Forums. If you find this capability compelling and useful for you or other instructors, please add your voice to this community post.
The list of resources below will help you as you begin to learn and work in Canvas. The list will be kept up-to-date as resources become available.
- Moodle to Canvas: What Converts?: https://atguides.humboldt.edu/m/canvas_instructor_guides/l/850964-canvas-quick-guide-moodle-to-canvas-content-conversion
- What Students Want: A Simple, Navigable LMS Course Design (h/t Bob Williams)
- Image Size recommendations (dimensions are approximate)
- Banner image: 1451×312
- Topic heading image: 88×88
- For images within a table: make sure they are all the same dimensions so that the table cells are all the same size and images center the same within the cells
- Emojipedia: https://emojipedia.org/ – Use this to add images to module titles, assignment titles, or any place you can enter text.
This post will be used to host links to all the Moodle workshop, support videos, and links. Links will be grouped as best as possible by topic. If there is a Moodle support topic you would like to request, please contact Jedidiah Rex.
- Moodle FAQ (Moodle site, log in to view)
- Moodle: Extreme Makeover (blog post)
- Moodle Basics (video, 9:17)
- Moodle Import Process (video, 3:34)
Grading and Assessment
- Moodle: Natural Grading (video, 6:48)
- Moodle: Demystifying the Gradebook (video, 1:18:12)
- Moodle Annotate PDF (video, 10:15)
- Moodle + Perusall (video, 51:40)